Yucatan Adventure from Cancun Self Drive
Uncover the mysteries of the Maya civilisation at this ancient archaeological site dominated by the imposing Temple of Kukulkan.
This ‘magical town’ is known as the ‘City of Hills’ because of its numerous ruins of Maya pyramids.
Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for the elegant 19th-century tree-lined boulevards.
The enormous Pyramid of the Magician found in this UNESCO World Heritage Site majestically rises above the jungle canopy.
A historic colonial city where you will have time to explore this charming ‘magical town’.
395 species of birds reside in this biosphere reserve where you can observe flamboyances of flamingos and crocodiles roaming the mangrove.
DAY 1 | ARRIVAL CANCUN
Arrive at Cancun International Airport. Our representative will meet and greet you, he will provide you with your welcome pack, where all vouchers and important information will come along. Our representative will walk you to the rent a car staff at Airport. You will be transferred to the rent a car office nearby airport, where you will receive your car. Once you have your vehicle, head yourself to your hotel in Cancun. Have the rest of the day at leisure. Overnight in Cancun.
Accommodation: Standard 4* Fairfield hotel or similar on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 2 | CANCUN / RIVIERA MAYA - EK BALAM - CENOTE XCANCHE - CHICHEN ITZA (240km – 3 hrs)
Begin your day with a delightful breakfast at the hotel. Then, we suggest you first visit the archaeological site of Ek’ Balam, which in the Mayan language means ‘Black Jaguar’. See the Central Square and its ceremonial structures. Admire the main pyramid, known as the Acropolis, and enjoy the views over this complex boasting some 45 structures. It is one of the most impressive Maya ruins, featuring a royal entrance with a remarkably well-preserved stucco fresco surrounded by the open jaws and fangs of a jaguar. Then, hop on two wheels and enjoy a short bike ride to the beautiful X’Canche cenote for a swim. Continue to Chichen Itza and check into your hotel.
Overnight in Chichen Itza OKAAN or similar Standard 3* hotel on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 3| CHICHEN ITZA - IZAMAL - MERIDA (130km – 2 hrs)
In the morning, head deep into the rainforests of the Yucatan peninsula in search of the legendary Maya city of Chichen Itza, which has been laboriously reclaimed from the jungle. Learn about the Maya and their civilisation as you admire the scale and detail of this ancient city. Behold the geometric perfection of the 25-metre-tall Temple of Kukulkan, popularly known as El Castillo (‘the Castle’), which was built both as a representation of the mystical Maya calendar and to reflect the optical illusion of a serpent snaking its way up or down the pyramid during the spring and autumn equinoxes. Admire the Great Ball Court, the largest of 13 discovered at the site, see the haunting Skull Platform, where the heads of human sacrifice victims and prisoners of war were impaled, and also the Sacred Cenote, where sacrifice victims were dumped. Also extremely well-preserved are the Temple of the Warriors, the Ossuary, the Nunnery and adjacent Church, and the large observatory known as the Snail. Continue on to Izamal, whose Mayan name means ‘Heavenly Dew’. In the centre, see the Convent of St Anthony of Padua, which stands on a former Maya pyramid. Izamal is known as the ‘Yellow City’ due to the yellow and cream hues of its buildings. Afterwards, head to the beautiful colonial town of Merida. Yucatan’s ‘White City’ is famed for the elegant tree-lined boulevards from the 19th century.
Overnight in Merida at the Del Gobernador or similar Standard 3,5* hotel on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 4 | MERIDA - CELESTUN - UXMAL (230km – 3.5 hrs)
After breakfast, you can go from Merida to Celestun. The Celestun biosphere is an incredible spot where you can book a boat trip through the mangroves and spot colonies of wild flamingos, painting a pink hue over the water. Enjoy this incredible natural environment. Perhaps stop at one of the palapas – thatched-roofed restaurants – for some of the tastiest and freshest seafood in the country. In the evening, arrive to Uxmal for your overnight stay.
Overnight in Uxmal Resort Maya or similar Standard 4* hotel on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 5 | UXMAL - VALLADOLID (230km – 3.25 hrs)
Indulge in a delicious breakfast and, in the early morning, visit the archaeological site Uxmal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which as you approach, comes into view as it rises above the canopy of the jungle. Unlike other Mayan cities, Uxmal was devoured by the rainforest after the Spaniards had arrived. The most famous structure is the 35-metre-tall Pyramid of the Magician, towering over the remarkably well-preserved Nunnery Quadrangle with its ornately carved interior and exterior walls. Across the central plaza, just beyond the ballgame court, you can find the Governor’s Palace with its elaborately decorated roof. At the southern end of the main complex see the Great Pyramid, of which only one side has been excavated with the other three still unclaimed from the bush. Afterwards, drive to the colonial town of Valladolid, one of Mexico’s ‘magical towns’, which was founded in 1543 and showcases mesmerising architecture. Take your time to discover its highlights, like the Cathedral of San Gervasio, the town’s central park, the collonaded municipal palace and the verdant Zaci cenote.
Overnight in Valladolid Meson del Marques or similar Standard 3,5* Hotel on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 6 | VALLADOLID - RIA LAGARTOS - COBA - TULUM (320km – 4 hrs)
After a tasty breakfast at the hotel, you can start by exploring the colourful Ria Lagartos nature reserve, known for birdwatching and flamingo spotting. Then we recommend continuing south to the Coba archaeological site. It is estimated that Coba contains over 6,000 constructions, but only a select few have been uncovered. This site may have been the largest population of all Mayan cities. After your visit, continue to the beachside site of Tulum.
Overnight in Aluna Hotel or similar Standard 4* on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
DAY 7 | TULUM - RIVIERA MAYA / CANCUN (130km – 1.75 hrs)
In the morning, take advantage and visit the archaeological site of Tulum. The ruins are situated on a 12-metre-tall cliff along the Caribbean Sea. It is a relatively small site and allows you to take a refreshing dip in the crystalline water. Afterwards, head to Playa del Carmen or Cancun Airport to drop off the vehicle at the car rental office, and continue with your travel arrangements.
- Bed and breakfast
- 24-hour roadside assistance
- Unlimited mileage
- Car rental
- Airport meet and greet
- Third-party insurance
- 3-4 star Hotel
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees
- Airport taxes
- Road tolls
- Border Fees.
- Any additional expenses which are not included or detailed in the program.
Terms & Conditions
- 100% covered from the commercial value of the vehicle for collision or theft. Include, cover tires, mirrors or car glasses (windows).
- Taxes for car rental only at the airport included (for extra services such as GPS, Baby seats, etc. are excluded). ALI: Third Party Liability Coverage. Lease and unlimited mileage. Zero-deductible car insurance: in case of collision or total theft. Driver(s) must be 25 years or older, otherwise, a supplement will apply. Additional driver included (total of 2). AAF (Airport Tax of 10% over T&K rate and coverage). TPL (Coverage for protection of damage to third parties, excluding passengers and their belongings. According to Mexican Laws, this coverage is mandatory). Tax to added value (VAT). Delivery and pick-up of the vehicle with no extra charge in the different rental offices between Puerto Morelos and Tulum.
- NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE: Windows and wheels insurance (WWI), Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), None of the coverages mentioned above include charges for towing, lockup, or traffic tickets, Gas refill, Additional or young drivers (18 to 24 years of age) will need to pay an extra daily charge, Environmental Sanitation right tax in Quintana Roo.
- All coverage and insurance included are only valid in the country in which the car was rented (Mexico).
- Car Category: Chevrolet Matiz A/C or similar - 5 Seats / 5 Doors or similar. Chevrolet Aveo A/C or similar - 5 Seats / 4 Doors or similar. Hyundai Attitude A/C or similar - 5 Seats / 4 Doors or similar.
- Redeem information: Voucher type: Printed, Printed Voucher. Print and bring the voucher to enjoy the activity.
- Location: Start point: Cancun International Airport, Please confirm flight details in advance.
- Endpoint: Same as the starting point
- Schedule: Duration: 7 Days
- Guide options: Guide type: Not included
- Requirements: Minimum driver's age: 25 years old.